Gazetteer, overall an in-depth description of our island’s internally self-governing British Overseas Territory 900 miles north of the Caribbean, 600 miles east of North Carolina, USA. Not until this year did the USA and Correspondance, 1925-1939 PDF become allies, which is why so many land based forts were built in Bermuda in the 19th century, primarily to defend against not European but American aggression.
Cette correspondance comporte deux cent dix lettres ou billets, de juillet 1925 à décembre 1939. La majeure partie est constituée de lettres de Maurice Sachs.
They and their powerful, long range, hill-top coastline cannons discouraged an enemy from seizing Bermuda. All the forts in the Western Parishes were designed to help protect the Dockyard. The oil docks in Ferry Reach, St. George’s Parish, were created in 1900 by the West India Oil Company, a subsidiary of the Standard Oil Company of New York owned by the Rockefeller family. HMS Hotspur, after being retired from distinguished Royal Navy active service became a coast defence and port guard ship at the Royal Navy Dockyard, Bermuda. She was a Victorian ironclad ram – a warship armed with guns but whose primary weapon was a ram. She was built at Govan, Scotland by Napier, launched 19th March 1870 and completed 17th November 1871.
Monk bought the Bermuda weekly newspaper New Era and Home Journal published from 1881 to 1884 by Mr. Spedon and ran it until 1905. Island into the land-based South Western Breakwater. Port’s Island Hospital was built for Boer War prisoners-of-war. HM ships and were transported to exile on various islands in Bermuda from 1901 to 1902. Bermuda was one of the places selected as a prisoner-of-war-camp for the Boers because of its distance from South Africa.
The Boer War Cemetery in Bermuda was built by Boer prisoners. Placed in the same position as the original Bermuda Floating Dock of 1869. The dock was referred to officially as Admiralty Floating Dock No. Standfield for the British Admiralty and built by C. The Cup Match cricket tournament between St. George’s and Somerset was played for the first time, at Somerset.
The first bridge to and from Watford Island, begun in August 1901, was completed. It began with the then-radical idea of racing normal boats in the ocean. It was the brainchild of Thomas Fleming Day, editor of the USA’s most influential boating magazine, The Rudder. 1904, but not yet activated, held its first meeting of shareholders. The first Chairman of the Board to be elected was Dr. Bushell, of « Palm Vale », South Shore Road, Devonshire, established the first tourist bureau in Bermuda. The 1855-Bermuda-built famous barque Koh-I-Noor, then 51 years old, sank on a coral reef on the east side of Boca St.
Appointment of Lieutenant General Frederick Walter Kitchener as Governor of Bermuda. He was the younger brother of Earl Kitchener. The first bus on the island was a 12-seater. It frightened a horse, causing a doctor to be tossed to the ground. It included a memorial monument and tribute to Admiral Sir George Somers inlaid at the Bermuda Cathedral in Hamilton.
Previously Governor’s Park, the site where the entrails of Sir George Somers were believed to have been buried was renamed the Somers Garden. In July, a group of local dignitaries went by boat to see the largest pinnacle at North Rock. The Westerfield Cup, so-named for it’s sponsors, was made specifically for this, the third Newport-Bermuda Yacht Race, by Reed and Barton, decorated with a floral pattern in relief and had three handles. In one pane were the crossed flags of the Atlantic Yacht Club and the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club in enamel. It was inscribed Bermuda Race 1909. A friendly cross-country race began between Bermudian soldiers and those in the British Army then based in Bermuda. It later became known as the Marathon Derby.
Earlier, running had become a Bermudianized sport, especially in Somerset. Bermuda too, including British Army soldiers and Royal Navy sailors based in Bermuda, were all affected when the Temperance Movement in the United Kingdom helped to persuade then-Chancellor David Lloyd-George to impose punitive tax rises on all alcoholic drinks, which tipped the alcohol industry into a near 30 year decline. On the death of his father King Edward VII, King George V was enthroned. Bermuda was granted its own new Coat of Arms. It features a sinking Sea Venture and replaced the less popular original which featured three sailing ships. The Memorial Monument to Sir George Somers was unveiled in St. George’s, with the 1st Battalion of the Bedfordshire Regiment in attendance.
It was finally completed in 1912, after some mishaps. Prince George, grandson of Queen Victoria, Marquess of Milford Haven, visited Bermuda briefly, as a lieutenant on HMS New Zealand. Death in Bermuda while still in office and burial of Governor Lieutenant General Sir Frederick Walter Kitchener. Bermuda Trade Development Board was established, as the forerunner of what became Bermuda Tourism. Prince Albert Frederick Arthur George, then a naval cadet, visited Bermuda on HMS Cumberland.
He became King George VI in 1937. First arrival in Bermuda of Frances Hodgson Burnett. Born in England on November 24, 1849 and died on October 29, 1924 in the USA, this American naturalized author won international renown in 1886 for her book « Little Lord Fauntleroy » before she emigrated to the USA. In 1911, her « The Secret Garden » was published and also became a global best seller.
Forbes was a junior wireless officer aboard the New Zealand Shipping Service’s Rotorua, 11,140 tons, one of the larger ships in the British-flagged Merchant Navy when it was torpedoed and sunk by a German U-boat in the English Channel, 24 miles from where she had begun her voyage to Wellington, New Zealand, at location 50. After years of declining sales, caused since 1875 by increased competition from larger arrowroot enterprises in USA and the Caribbean, the Camden Arrowroot operation in Paget ceased. Arrowroot had been a staple of the Bermudian economy. He was a brilliant student who gave his life while serving with the Royal Flying Corps, then the Royal Air Force. Godet was born in Paget in 1896. He was a Rhodes Scholar, earlier at Oxford University until he answered the call of duty.