L’auberge de la Jamaïque PDF

404 – L’auberge de la Jamaïque PDF or directory not found. The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Pourquoi préparer votre voyage avec minube?


IN8 Broché Roman traduit de l’anglais par Léo Lack . 382 pages

Découvrez ce que nos utilisateurs pensent de la communauté de voyageurs qui les encourage à parcourir le monde. Jump to navigation Jump to search This article is about the pub. Jamaica Inn is a traditional inn on Bodmin Moor in Cornwall, United Kingdom. Located just off the A30, near the middle of the moor close to the hamlet of Bolventor, it was used as a staging post for changing horses.

The inn became a Grade II listed building in 1988. Jamaica Inn is on Bodmin Moor, near Bolventor. Rough Tor is nearby, as are the valleys of Hantergantick and Hannon. 1547, the current building dates from 1750. The inn was built in 1750 and extended in 1778 with a coach house, stables and a tack room assembled in an L-shaped fashion. It is often commonly thought that the inn takes its name from the smugglers who smuggled rum into the country from Jamaica and stored it at the inn.

The inn became a smugglers’ stopping point while they used approximately 100 secret routes to move around their contraband. Originally, the half-way house was alone on this part of the moor, but later a church, parsonage, and school were added by Mr. Kodd, the proprietor of the land, satisfying the area’s residents. According to narrated story, gangs of wreckers operated on the coast of Cornwall during early 19th century.

Cornwall has been very aptly described as the « haven of smugglers » in view of its topographic features of « rocky coves, sheltered bays, tumultuous waves and wild and untenanted landscapes ». By 1847, Francis Rodd of Trebartha Hall, who had been High Sheriff of Cornwall in 1845, was building a chapel at Bolventor to accommodate those who lived in the Jamaica Inn area. The current building still includes the extension of a coach house, stables and a tack room added in 1778. The Jamaica Inn’s past notoriety as the pirates’ den was known to Du Maurier three years before she wrote her book, when she had lived in the inn, and on the basis of which she had spun her popular novel Jamaica Inn, which was adapted into a melodramatic film of the same name made by Alfred Hitchcock.