Participating in community service is one of the most rewarding things you can do. No matter your age, giving back can help you build friendships, develop new skills, and increase life satisfaction — all while making the world a better place. It’s no wonder that in a Good Housekeeping poll of over 4,000 people, 19% of respondents said they typically volunteer once a month and another 19% said they volunteer even more than that.
Ahead, we’ve found the most impactful community service ideas for volunteers of all ages. Remember: these ideas are meant to be general. If one speaks to you, think of ways you can personalize it toward your interests and expertise. Don’t be afraid to think big either. While you could totally pick up litter at the beach by yourself, you’d cover a lot more land if you organized a group to help you out. You might even ask everyone in that group to bring a can of food for a food pantry, too. It’s all about getting creative and brainstorming ways to make giving back fun. And if you’re hesitant to get out into your community, don’t miss these exciting virtual volunteer opportunities.
Community service ideas for kids
- Make cards for seniors.
- Grow vegetables and donate the produce to neighbors or a food bank.
- Use chalk to write inspiring quotes on the sidewalk.
- Choose which gently used clothes to donate to charity.
- Pick up litter at a local park.
- Write cards to service members.
- Make a “New to the Neighborhood” guidebook for new kids at school.
- Put on a