Browsed by
Tag: City

State and city leaders blame social gatherings, not businesses or schools, for coronavirus uptick in New London

State and city leaders blame social gatherings, not businesses or schools, for coronavirus uptick in New London

Connecticut and local officials said Monday that the recent uptick in coronavirus cases in New London can be traced back to a series of social gatherings and other small social interactions — not to local school or business reopenings, or to the nearby casinos.

“We’re being told by the contact tracers that it’s not coming from any institutional or business setting, it’s coming predominantly from social spread … where people are letting their guard down,” said New London Mayor Michael Passero.

He pointed to situations — such as small family gatherings that are well within the state limits on gathering size — where people may feel relaxed enough that they remove their masks or sit nearby one another. But COVID-19 can still spread, even among a small group of people and even from people who aren’t displaying any symptoms.

“The institutional environments — nursing homes, schools, even the casino — they have these strict protocols in place, people are less likely to let their guard down,” Passero said. “So where it’s spreading now is where people are more likely to be relaxed and let their guard down.”

The state issued a COVID-19 alert for New London on Thursday, after a steep increase in cases in the city. New London and the surrounding areas saw relatively few cases in the spring, and by Sept. 25 New London had recorded a total of 229 confirmed or probable COVID-19 cases since the pandemic began in March. But from Sept. 25 to Oct. 9, New London’s cases jumped up to 368 — an increase of 139 in just two weeks.

The reported cause of the New London uptick align with comments made by Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus response coordinator, during a visit to UConn’s Hartford campus last week.

“This is really

Read the rest
The Uncertain Promises of Indoor Dining in New York City

The Uncertain Promises of Indoor Dining in New York City

A thousand years ago, on March 11th of this year, I went with a friend to Wu’s Wonton King, a Chinatown gem that since its opening, in 2016, has become famous for, somehow, everything: the glorious array of dim sum, the exquisitely tender barbecued meats, the fishes, eels, and crabs plucked live from tanks in the windows, à la minute. Normally, when I visit Wu’s, it’s with a strategically large group so that we can order all of the above and more, and then bring home whatever our groaning insides can’t fit. On this particular day, I was with just one other person, and we split an uncharacteristically austere order of steamed pork buns and a bowl of noodle soup. We were the only people in the restaurant, which could have been partly attributable to our timing—it was a Wednesday morning, too late to be breakfast but too early to count as an early lunch—but almost certainly also had to do with the encroaching coronavirus pandemic, which was just beginning to make itself known in New York.

By now, it’s hard to recall that brief window of time in New York in early March, between our unfettered pre-pandemic life and the start of public shutdowns and self-quarantining, which we have now been enduring for nearly seven months. Venues in Chinatown had been among the first to experience a decline in business, fuelled by racist fears of the virus, which was first identified in the Chinese city of Wuhan. But by the time Mayor Bill de Blasio announced a mandated closure of all bars and restaurants—which, after Governor Andrew Cuomo accelerated the original timeline, took effect on March 16th—the entire city was already slowing down, an anti-crescendo of public activity. After my meal at Wu’s, I hugged my friend goodbye

Read the rest
Instant analysis: Big plays power Raiders to shocking win at Kansas City

Instant analysis: Big plays power Raiders to shocking win at Kansas City

Raiders hanging with Chiefs

Charlie Riedel) / Associated Press

Las Vegas Raiders wide receiver Nelson Agholor, left, celebrates with quarterback Derek Carr after catching a 59-yard touchdown pass during the first half of an NFL football game against the Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, Oct. 11, 2020, in Kansas City.

The Raiders notched a potentially season-defining win on Sunday, as they went into Kansas City and beat the defending Super Bowl champions, 40-32.

A look at how Las Vegas was able to pull it off:

Offense switches gears

The Raiders employed a more aggressive offensive game plan in the first half than we’ve seen from them all season, and maybe since Jon Gruden took over as head coach before the 2018 season.

Derek Carr lit the fuse with an early 46-yard completion to Henry Ruggs, setting up a field goal for the game’s first score. In the second quarter, Carr stood strong in the pocket and launched a perfect deep strike to Nelson Agholor for a 59-yard touchdown to pull Las Vegas within 14-10. Later in the half, Ruggs got single coverage on a deep post route, and Carr hit him in stride for a 72-yard score.

Aside from the scoring plays, Carr also launched a pair of deep balls to tight end Darren Waller (one resulted in a pass interference, the other in an interception) and attempted to hit fullback Alec Ingold on a wheel route. It was a completely different approach than what we’ve seen from the Gruden-Carr combo over the last three seasons, and it caught the Chiefs completely off guard.

After the first-half fireworks, the Raiders countered and went back to their more familiar, methodical approach. A 13-play, 66 yard drive ended with a 7-yard touchdown run by Josh Jacobs

Read the rest
Man City have financial muscle to pull off Messi deal, says COO Berrada

Man City have financial muscle to pull off Messi deal, says COO Berrada

(Reuters) – Manchester City will be in a position to sign Lionel Messi if the opportunity presents itself next season, the Premier League club’s chief operating officer said.



a man wearing a uniform: World Cup 2022 South American Qualifiers - Argentina v Ecuador


© Reuters/MARCELO ENDELLI
World Cup 2022 South American Qualifiers – Argentina v Ecuador

City were the frontrunners to land Messi’s services after the 33-year-old Argentine handed Barcelona an official notice in August of his desire to terminate his contract.

However, the six-times world player of the year eventually decided to stay in Spain for the coming season, the last on his current deal, as he did not want to face a legal battle with the club he joined as a teenager and with whom he has amassed more than 30 major trophies.



a large building: Premier League - Manchester City v Leicester City


© Reuters/CATHERINE IVILL
Premier League – Manchester City v Leicester City

“He’s the best player in the world, he’s the best player of his generation. I think any club in the world would like to explore the possibility of him joining their team,” Omar Berrada told Manchester Evening News.

“He’s probably an exception to potential investments that we’d do… but our planning has been done with this current squad and it is being considered with the current opportunities that we have.

“For every single position we have to be prepared because there can be so many things that can happen but, at the same time, I think we have the financial strength and system ability to make that investment when required.”

(Reporting by Arvind Sriram in Bengaluru; editing by Richard Pullin)

Source Article Read the rest

Businesses shut in effort to contain virus in New York City hot spots

Businesses shut in effort to contain virus in New York City hot spots

NEW YORK (AP) — Hundreds of businesses and schools in New York City neighborhoods where coronavirus cases have spiked were closed Thursday by order of the governor, but questions swirled about how effectively officials could enforce the shutdown in areas where it has been met with resentment.

The new rules were also met with legal resistance, as the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn and Agudath Israel of America, an Orthodox Jewish umbrella organization, filed lawsuits over a provision limiting attendance at indoor religious services to no more than 10 people.

Confusion and dismay reigned as the restrictions began to take effect.

In Brooklyn’s Borough Park section, the scene of two nights of protests against the clampdown by Orthodox Jews, some merchants subject to the shutdown order appeared to be operating as usual at midday, including a barber shop, cellphone stores and a toy store.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said 1,200 city workers would be out on the streets doing enforcement, though some of those efforts involved trying to educate businesses about rules imposed with little warning in hastily drawn zones with confusing borders.

All nonessential businesses in areas designated “red zones” in parts of Queens and Brooklyn by Gov. Andrew Cuomo were supposed to shut. Public and private schools were supposed to close, as well, within both the red zones and surrounding “orange zones” designated by the Democratic governor.

Exactly where those zones began and ended, though, wasn’t easily apparent from maps released by the governor’s office or the city. Parents at one Brooklyn school protested that their school had been shut by the city even though it lay outside the area the governor had designated for school closures.

The new restrictions involve parts of Brooklyn and Queens in New York City, sections of Orange and Rockland counties in the

Read the rest